with Mark H Rooney
Sunday, March 28, 2021, 3:00 – 6:00 PM Eastern Time
— OR —
Sunday, April 4, 2021, 3:00 – 6:00 PM Eastern Time
Ever wonder what it’s like to play a drum with your whole body? Learn the powerful and dynamic art of Japanese drumming with Mark H Rooney. Taiko is a dynamic art form based on traditional Japanese drumming practiced all over the world. This workshop is designed to introduce the basics of taiko technique, practice of kumidaiko (ensemble drumming), awareness of ki (energy), use of koe (voice), history and philosophy — all while having a good time!
No experience necessary, but come ready for a workout! Ages 13 and up. Please note that classes held later in the Spring will require either this class or previous Taiko experience.
The following sanitary and safety protocols will be in place:
– There will be a 15-PERSON MAX capacity in each session (the venue’s capacity is capped by the county at 24 people engaged in active exercise; we will keep it well under that)
– Equipment will be sanitized before the workshop and NOT shared
– We will be socially distanced minimally 6 feet but most often between 10 and 12 feet
– Masks will be required throughout – people will be asked to move to outside the enclosure for “breathe breaks” which they will be encouraged to take as often as they like
– There are public restrooms with sanitizer available
The Bumper Car Pavilion is a large outdoor covered space (protected from the elements but with plenty of ventilation). There will be heaters in the pavilion. Dressing in layers appropriate to the weather is recommended, but the exercise will keep you warm!
MARK H ROONEY has been studying, performing & teaching Taiko in the Eastern US, Japan and Europe for over 20 years. Questions? Contact Mark at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit markhtaiko.com.